Winter Fruit Chutney Recipe
—American Dairy Assoc, Stacy Duffy, Chicago, Illinois
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 large pears, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add apples and pears; cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened, stirring constantly.
- 2. Add the cranberries, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, rosemary, allspice and nutmeg; mix well. Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add oranges. Serve warm. Yield: 4 cups.
1/4 cup equals 102 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 31 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC