- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 large pears, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add apples and pears; cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened, stirring constantly.
- Add the cranberries, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, rosemary, allspice and nutmeg; mix well. Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add oranges. Serve warm. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Winter Fruit Chutney in Country Woman November/December 1997, p40
Reviews for Winter Fruit Chutney
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review