Winter Country Soup Recipe
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the sausage, red pepper and shallots in butter until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add kale; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Stir in the broth, corn, beans, cayenne and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Return to a boil. Stir in orzo. Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 258 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1067mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Winter Country Soup
"Great soup! Since its so cold in Upstate, decided to make this soup & I must say its awesome. Followed the directions exactly except for replacing the smoked sausage with Turkey sausage (health reasons) & omitting the orzo, as I didn't see the need for it. The soup is hearty and loaded with carbs considering the beans & corn. This is a keeper in my recipe box for Winter months. Jeannette, thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us all."
"Delicious. I'd skip the orzo because I have to freeze part of it because I'm only cooking for 1 person. The orzo disintegrated in to what looked like cracker bits. I prefer kale to spinach because it holds up better and I grow it in my garden. I used jalapeno chicken sausage and salt free broth."
"1067 mg salt in a 1 cup serving?!!!!!! You have got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"My husband loved this. I shared with some friends and they asked for recipe. I didn't have kale so used spinach. Very good. Will make again."
"Great winter 'warmer'...I cut the shallots down to 1....I felt 8 was way too many!"
"This an awesome soup! i use spinach instead of kale, and I love it!"
"I was amazed at how much I liked this soup! I am more of a cream soup kind of person, but I needed a gluten and dairy-free recipe (I used rice instead of orzo), and this was delicious! It has such great flavor and I was sure I would need to add salt, but it doesn't need any! I will be keeping this recipe on hand! Thanks you for sharing this Jeanette!"
"This was ok. My first time cooking with kale. I felt like the soup needed some other seasoning than cayenne."
"We enjoyed this soup. I only used 4 cups of kale, as I'm not a huge kale fan, and I'm glad I did. It seemed just right."
"great flavor! love this soup!"
"This soup is very good. I will make it again"
"A really hearty soup with wonderful flavor. Will absolutely make this again."