Winter Country Soup Recipe
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the sausage, red pepper and shallots in butter until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add kale; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Stir in the broth, corn, beans, cayenne and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Return to a boil. Stir in orzo. Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 258 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1067mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Winter Country Soup
"Delicious. I'd skip the orzo because I have to freeze part of it because I'm only cooking for 1 person. The orzo disintegrated in to what looked like cracker bits. I prefer kale to spinach because it holds up better and I grow it in my garden. I used jalapeno chicken sausage and salt free broth."
"1067 mg salt in a 1 cup serving?!!!!!! You have got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"My husband loved this. I shared with some friends and they asked for recipe. I didn't have kale so used spinach. Very good. Will make again."
"Great winter 'warmer'...I cut the shallots down to 1....I felt 8 was way too many!"
"This an awesome soup! i use spinach instead of kale, and I love it!"
"I was amazed at how much I liked this soup! I am more of a cream soup kind of person, but I needed a gluten and dairy-free recipe (I used rice instead of orzo), and this was delicious! It has such great flavor and I was sure I would need to add salt, but it doesn't need any! I will be keeping this recipe on hand! Thanks you for sharing this Jeanette!"
"This was ok. My first time cooking with kale. I felt like the soup needed some other seasoning than cayenne."
"We enjoyed this soup. I only used 4 cups of kale, as I'm not a huge kale fan, and I'm glad I did. It seemed just right."
"great flavor! love this soup!"
"This soup is very good. I will make it again"
"A really hearty soup with wonderful flavor. Will absolutely make this again."