Winter Country Soup Recipe
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the sausage, red pepper and shallots in butter until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add kale; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Stir in the broth, corn, beans, cayenne and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Return to a boil. Stir in orzo. Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 258 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1067mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Winter Country Soup
"This was ok. My first time cooking with kale. I felt like the soup needed some other seasoning than cayenne."
"We enjoyed this soup. I only used 4 cups of kale, as I'm not a huge kale fan, and I'm glad I did. It seemed just right."
"great flavor! love this soup!"
"This soup is very good. I will make it again"
"A really hearty soup with wonderful flavor. Will absolutely make this again."