Winter Country Soup Recipe
My soup will warm your family up on the chilliest of winter nights! Featuring smoked sausage, beans and other vegetables, it’s a hearty way to start a meal or a satisfying lunch all by itself!
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the sausage, red pepper and shallots in butter until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add kale; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Stir in the broth, corn, beans, cayenne and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Return to a boil. Stir in orzo. Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup equals 258 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 1,067 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC