Winter Chowder Recipe
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon onion salt or onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 drops Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the potatoes, onion and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Do not drain. Mash potatoes (mixture will not be smooth). Stir in the onion salt, pepper, salt and hot sauce; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute ham and brussels sprouts for 5-6 minutes or until sprouts are tender. Stir into the potato mixture. Add milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup cheese; cook for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with remaining cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup (prepared with onion powder, fat-free milk and reduced-fat cheese) equals 403 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 457 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 23 g fiber, 33 g protein.