Winter Cabbage Salad
My mother made this recipe for as long as I can remember. Most times she made it seven or eight times larger than this recipe calls for! She'd store it in the refrigerator in gallon-size glass jugs for the winter, then serve it as a vegetable, salad or garnish at family meals, ladies' church luncheons and potluck parties.
16-20 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 10 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring the first six ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat
- and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onions and peppers. Pour vinegar
- mixture over vegetables; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate
- overnight. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 67 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 716 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.