Winter Cabbage Salad Recipe
My mother made this recipe for as long as I can remember. Most times she made it seven or eight times larger than this recipe calls for! She'd store it in the refrigerator in gallon-size glass jugs for the winter, then serve it as a vegetable, salad or garnish at family meals, ladies' church luncheons and potluck parties.
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 10 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring the first six ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onions and peppers. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Winter Cabbage Salad in Country Extra January 1995, p49
Reviews for Winter Cabbage Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 19, 2014
"Giving 4 stars ~ have not made as yet but plan to. Would be a great take along dish to a summer gathering!"