Winter Beet Salad Recipe
- 2 medium fresh beets
- 1 package (5 ounces) mixed salad greens
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Cut slits in beets; place on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and cut into wedges. Divide greens among salad plates; top with beets, oranges, fennel and hazelnuts. Combine dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well. Drizzle over salads. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 213 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Winter Beet Salad
"This was a fantastic tasting salad. Definitely worth the time to prepare. I cooked the beets a little longer than an hour just to make sure they were as tender as could be. The blend of flavors was amazing and I had rave reviews all around."