Winter Beet Salad
To save a little time, our Test Kitchen home economists recommend using packaged salad greens in this original recipe. The simple dressing is easy to assemble.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 medium fresh beets
- 1 package (5 ounces) mixed salad greens
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Cut slits in beets; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 1
- hour or until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice
- beets. Divide the greens among salad plates; top with beets,
- oranges, fennel and hazelnuts.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients;
- shake well. Drizzle over salads. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 209 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 4 g protein.