Winter Apple Jelly
Maria Weber, Toledo, Ohio
56 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Process: 5 min.
- 1 quart apple juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 3 to 6 drops red food coloring, optional
- 5-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a Dutch oven, combine the apple juice, pectin, lemon juice and
- food coloring if desired. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring
- constantly. Quickly stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil.
- Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Stir in cinnamon. Carefully
- ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-in.
- headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process
- for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 7 half-pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 90 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.