Winning Cream of Leek Soup
I got this recipe from an old family friend, who gave me my first batch of leeks, too! This soup quickly became our family favorite. I enjoy making hearty dishes like this one—and I especially like cooking with pork when I can...my husband and I raise hogs.
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound medium leeks (white portion only)
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken stock or 4 bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 quart hot water
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked potato, diced
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- Clean leeks carefully, rinsing well to remove soil. Cut into 1/2-in.
- pieces. Steam in covered container with 1/2 cup water until tender
- (can do this in microwave); Do not drain. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan; add flour, stirring constantly until
- smooth. Cook 2-4 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly until
- flour is thoroughly cooked. Gradually add chicken stock, stirring
- with wire whisk; bring to boil. Turn heat to low; add cream,
- seasonings, leeks, potato and ham. Do not boil. Yield: about 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 253 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 570 mg sodium,