Winning Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe
Meet the Cook: Generally, my husband isn't a soup fan - but his spoon's poised and ready for this version. I adapted this rich and creamy concoction from a recipe I tasted at a local restaurant...and it's since become a popular item on my "menu". -Carol Reaves, San Antonio, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Fresh tarragon, optional
- 1. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Add cauliflower, broth, parsley, salt and pepper, basil and tarragon. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk and whipping cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to cauliflower mixture. Cook for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Garnish with tarragon if desired. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 286 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1,083 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC