- 4 cups fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan and cover with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving liquid.
- In a another saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the milk, bouillon, reserved cooking liquid and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in asparagus; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Winning Cream of Asparagus Soup
Sort By :
"Made it today. It was delicious. Thank you so much. Will definitely make again for those cold winter days coming soon."
"I made this for my husband and he loved it. The only think I did differently was to thicken it a little more with cornstarch so he could put it on toast. That is his favorite way to eat asparagus. I will definitely make this again for him."
"On the bland side, I was looking for something rich, I think I would do four cups chicken broth and two cups of cream instead, I'll continue my search."
"AWESOME!!! Reminds me of the asparagus soup we got in Iceland."
"This recipe was simple and delicious! I skipped the first step and just let the asparagus simmer a little longer and used vegetable bouillon instead, the end result was very tasty. I'll definitely be making this again."