Winning Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 4 cups fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- Place asparagus in a large saucepan and cover with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving liquid.
- In a another saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the milk, bouillon, reserved cooking liquid and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in asparagus; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Winning Cream of Asparagus Soup(15)
Sort By :
This recipe was simple and delicious! I skipped the first step and just let the asparagus simmer a little longer and used vegetable bouillon instead, the end result was very tasty. I'll definitely be making this again.
I actually blended this to hide the chunks of asparagus from my kids who at times can be picky eaters. I also did not have green onions so, I substituted with part of a yellow onion.. It
worked like a charm and they loved it!!! Very delicious!!!
This was a really great recipe. Due to health in my family, I had to cut out the salt and I used Mrs. Dash Herb & Garlic seasoning...quite a bit actually, 2 T but it was still great. I forgot...I did put half of mine in the food processor to "thicken" it a little because I used skim milk...not my favorite but the way life is
Excellent! I followed the recipe without changes. We loved the pieces of asparagus in the soup! This is a keeper!
This recipe has the best bechamel sauce; I have been searching for years. From this I can make any cream sauce that I can include in most recipes.
This is an outstanding soup.