Winning Cranberry Muffins
Our town is the hub of all the area's large cranberry bogs, which are beautiful year-round. I've had this particular recipe for quite a while and have modified it over the years. These muffins are my husband's favorite, and my friends like it, too. It's a typical, hearty New England muffin!
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, quartered
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- Sprinkle cranberries with 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside. Sift
- remaining sugar, flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat egg, milk and oil. Make a hole in center of dry
- ingredients; pour in liquid ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- Add berries and lemon peel. Fill greased standard or jumbo muffin
- cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 18 minutes for standard-size muffins or for 22
- minutes for jumbo muffins. Yield: 12 standard-size or 6 jumbo
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 171 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium,