Our town is the hub of all the area's large cranberry bogs, which are beautiful year-round. I've had this particular recipe for quite a while and have modified it over the years. These muffins are my husband's favorite, and my friends like them, too. It's a typical, hearty New England muffin! —Dorothy Bateman, Carver, Massachusetts
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, quartered
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- Cinnamon sugar
- Sprinkle cranberries with 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside. Sift remaining sugar, flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat egg, milk and oil. Make a hole in center of dry ingredients; pour in liquid ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Add berries and, if desired, lemon peel. Fill 12 greased standard or 6 greased jumbo muffin cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 18 minutes for standard-size muffins or for 22 minutes for jumbo muffins. Yield: 12 standard-size or 6 jumbo muffins.
Originally published as Cranberry Muffins in Country February/March 1991, p47
Reviews for Winning Cranberry Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review