I enjoy making this when the cranberry season arrives. It's very easy to put together, which is perfect for busy moms like me.
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine cranberries and dates. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring often. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter until crumbly. Press half into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Spoon cranberry mixture over the crust; spread gently. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture; pat down gently.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bars. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Date Bars in Country December/January 1998, p49
Reviews for Winning Cranberry Date Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review