- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine cranberries and dates. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring often. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter until crumbly. Press half into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Spoon cranberry mixture over the crust; spread gently. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture; pat down gently.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bars. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Winning Cranberry Date Bars(4)
Sort By :
I HAVEN'T TRIED THIS RECIPE BUT I WILL. ABOUT THE CRANBERRIES AND DATES COOKING WITHOUT WATER. YES YOU CAN BUT YOU WANT TO KEEP THE FIRE UNDER THEM LOW UNTIL THE CRANBERRIES START TO POP TO GIVE THE MOISTURE. I COOK CRANBERRIES WITHOUT WATER ALL THE TIME.
To the question about cooking the cranberries and dates without water--it works. The cranberries start to pop as they cook with the dates and it makes a thick, yet moist paste. You do not need any water! Trust the recipe-it is amazing!
These are absolutely fabulous! I have been baking these delectable bars ever since they first appeared in Country magazine back in 1998. They are a family tradition at both Christmas and Thanksgiving and EVERYONE who tastes them asks for the recipe. This is a keeper!
How can you cook fresh cranberries and dates without any water? How much water to cook?
More Recipe Collections
- Bar Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fresh Cranberry Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Desserts >