Winning Cranberry Chutney
Meet the Cook: While searching for something to enhance the taste of fowl years ago, I discovered this recipe. I revised it a little, and I've since served it at Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings (it's a hit with either poultry or pork) plus used it as a food-basket gift. It's been popular besides at church bazaars I've taken it to.
I grew up on a farm, and my husband (he's a cattle buyer
28 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until
- thickened and cranberries have popped.
- Chill. Serve as an accompaniment to turkey or pork. Yield: about
- 3-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 69 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.