Winning Crab Bisque Recipe
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat margarine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 10 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, celery and green pepper in margarine until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Reduce heat to medium; add the potatoes and milk. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Remove 1-1/2 cups of the potato mixture; mash and return to the pan. Reduce heat to low. Stir in half-and-half and process cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Add the crab, salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
One serving (1 cup) equals 237 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 802 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat-free milk, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.