- Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1
- hour. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat
- until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain,
- reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the same skillet, brown
- chicken in reserved drippings on all sides; drain and set aside.
- In a 3-qt. baking dish or Dutch oven, combine the beans with cooking
- liquid, bacon, carrots, onion, tomatoes, celery, garlic, salt,
- marjoram, sage and pepper. Place whole cloves on a double thickness
- of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to
- form a bag. Add to bean mixture; top with chicken.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; add sausage. Bake
- 30-35 minutes longer or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf and
- spice bag. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.