Winning Apricot Bars Recipe
This recipe is "down-home" baking at its best, and it really represents all regions of the country! It's won blue ribbons at county fairs and cookie contests in several states! This treat is easy to make, and it's perfect for potluck suppers, bake sales, lunch boxes, or just plain snacking.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 jar (10 to 12 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Fold in coconut and walnuts.
- 2. Press two-thirds of dough onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Spread with preserves; crumble remaining dough over preserves. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC