Winning Apricot Bars
This recipe is "down-home" baking at its best, and it really represents all regions of the country! It's won blue ribbons at county fairs and cookie contests in several states! This treat is easy to make, and it's perfect for potluck suppers, bake sales, lunch boxes, or just plain snacking.
18 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 jar (10 to 12 ounces) apricot preserves
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add egg; mix well.
- Combine flour and baking powder. Gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Fold in coconut and walnuts.
- Press two-thirds of dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Spread with preserves; crumble remaining dough over preserves. Bake
- at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on
- wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 259 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.