Winning Apple Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or a 9-in. square baking pan. Cover with apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Pour over apples. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Winning Apple Crisp(124)
Sort By :
This was good except it was hard getting the bottom crust out when cutting and serving. The next time I make this, I will cut the topping in half and only put in on the top of the apples. I will also cut down on the sugars as someone else did.
Aside from being way too sweet, I thought it was good. Will make again, and just cut down on the oatmeal and brown sugar.
We really liked this recipe. The first time I followed it exactly and it turned out great. Recently I had some pears that I needed to do something with so I pulled this recipe out again. This time I used a 9 x 13 dish; didn't use any of the crumbles for a crust; all crumbles went on top; and used 8 to 10 pears. The results were just as good and probably saved a few calories!
Very good recipe, followed it exactly and came out great.
Way to sweet for me. The cornstarch and sugar overpowered the apples.