- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or a 9-in. square baking pan. Cover with apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Pour over apples. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Winning Apple Crisp
"This is one of the best apple crisp recipes I have tried. I did cut back the sugars by half and will cut back more, next time I make it, as I still found it sweet. I did add some nutmeg and will add more cinnamon next time."
"Love this! It's my go-to apple crisp recipe. I do also cut down on the sugars and go heavy on the apples and it is delicious. Love the way the crust/topping gets a little chewy/crispy. Sometimes I double the recipe in a 13x9 for company."
"Very very sweet, even with cutting the sugars in half."
"I thought it was amazing and will definitely make it again. I cut the whole recipe in half because I made it for just two people. I will probably cut back on some of the sugar also."
"This was an awesome apple crisp, followed suggestions and cut both sugars in half. Loved the bottom crust !"