Wine and Swiss Strata Recipe
Although I typically serve this strata for breakfast and brunch, it also makes a nice light lunch or dinner. The hint of wine makes it special.Cheryl Schmitt, Clarinda, Iowa
- 11 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with Swiss and Monterey Jack cheeses, ham and onions. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, wine or broth, mustard and pepper. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sour cream and Parmesan cheese; cook and stir over low heat until warm. Serve with strata. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Wine 'n' Cheese Strata in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p142
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Wine and Swiss Strata(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Ham >
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >