- 1 pound day-old Italian bread, cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 ounces salami, coarsely chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or water
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with cheese and salami. In a bowl, beat the eggs, milk, wine, onions, mustard, pepper and pepper flakes. Pour evenly over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover; spread sour cream evenly over the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Wine 'n' Cheese Strata
Sort By :
I make a strata every year for our Christmas brunch. Everyone agreed this was the best one ever! Left out the salami on one pan for our family vegetarians--their response was the same!