Windmills on a Stick
Whip together these richly sweet cookies for Mom, Dador the entire family anytime of year. "Children especially love them," attests Barbara Laferriere. She makes "bouquets" to give to kids (and adults!) who visit her Aylmer, Quebec home at Christmas.Barbara Laferriere, Aylmer, Quebec
30 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup colored sugars
- 30 milk chocolate M&M's
- 30 wooden or craft sticks
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and egg yolk until smooth.
- Combine flour and baking powder; beat into cream cheese mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a
- 15-in. x 9-in. rectangle. With a sharp knife or pastry wheel, cut
- dough into 3-in. squares. Place 3 in. apart on lightly greased
- baking sheets.
- Beat egg white until frothy; brush over squares. Sprinkle with
- colored sugars. Cut through the dough from each corner of a square
- to within 1/2 in. of the center. Fold alternating points to the
- center to form a windmill; pinch gently at center to seal.
- Press an M&M into each center. Gently press a wooden stick near the
- dough points. Bake at 350° for 9-12 minutes or until set
- (cookies will not brown). Remove immediately to wire racks to cool.