Windmill Cookie Bars
When I went to my grandma's house as a child, she was often baking Dutch windmill cookies. Like her cookies, my bars feature crisp slivered almonds.Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in egg yolk. Combine the flour, cinnamon and baking soda; gradually
- add to creamed mixture.
- Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Lightly beat
- egg white; brush over dough. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes; cut
- into bars. Cool completely. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 266 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.