Windmill Cookie Bars Recipe
When I went to my grandma's house as a child, she was often baking Dutch windmill cookies. Like her cookies, my bars feature crisp slivered almonds.Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Combine the flour, cinnamon and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Lightly beat egg white; brush over dough. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes; cut into bars. Cool completely. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Windmill Cookie Bars in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p49
Reviews for Windmill Cookie Bars(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review