Wilted Watercress Salad
When I was a girl growing up in Iowa, our whole family picked watercress. I modified my sister's recipe for spinach with hot bacon dressing to come up with this lovely, satisfying salad. The sweet dressing and crunchy bacon pieces really dress up plain watercress. It is a treat.Judith Saeugling, Sun City, Arizona
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 6 cups watercress
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 5 bacon strips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, toss watercress and onions; set aside. In a skillet,
- cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and add to watercress
- mixture. To the drippings, add brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice and
- Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Pour over salad and toss to
- coat; serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.