Wilted Spinach Salad with Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 slices red onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- 1. In a small skillet, saute the squash, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in 2 teaspoons oil for 11-13 minutes or until tender. Set aside; keep warm.
- 2. In a small saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 4-6 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Stir in the wine, cranberry sauce, remaining oil and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Place spinach on a serving platter; top with onion, cranberries and squash mixture. Drizzle with warm dressing. Sprinkle with almonds, goat cheese and pepper if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 228 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Wilted Spinach Salad with Butternut Squash
"Made this salad for Thanksgiving, everyone loved it! Not a leaf left on the plate"
"This is a grand-slam.Two thumbs up like Fonzi."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.