"Here's an easy, old-fashioned salad that makes for a different-tasting side dish," writes Jennie Wilburn of Long Creek, Oregon. "You can use less bacon drippings to cut down on the fat."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 cups torn leaf lettuce or spinach
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
- Place lettuce and onion in a large salad bowl; set aside. In a
- skillet, cook bacon until crisp (do not drain). Stir in vinegar,
- water, salt and pepper. Pour over lettuce and toss gently until well
- coated. Top with egg. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 95 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 297 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.