Wilted Iceberg Lettuce Recipe
MY Father’s Mother made this a grandchildren’s favorite, a dish she brought with her from Czechoslovakia. This hot salad is a good choice to accompany a hearty meat entrée, such as roasts, chops or steaks.
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place lettuce in a large salad bowl; set aside. In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. Saute onion in drippings over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir until lightly browned. Combine the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper; gradually stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1 minute longer or until thickened.
- 3. Pour hot dressing over lettuce; toss to coat. Top with bacon and serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 172 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 371mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Wilted Iceberg Lettuce
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC