Wilted Greens Over Potatoes Recipe
This recipe is representative of my Pennsylvania Dutch heritage. I remember not liking this dish as a child, but I've become fond of it over the years. —Bonnie Black, Sligo, Pennsylvania
- 4 cups packed fresh spinach, dandelion, collard, mustard, beet or turnip greens
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 5 thick-sliced bacon strips, diced
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- Hot mashed potatoes
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring greens and 2 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, discarding drippings.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; stir in the milk, salt and remaining water until smooth. Pour into skillet and bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Add the vinegar, greens and bacon; heat through. Serve over mashed potatoes. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 241 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC