Wilted Green Salad
"My husband refused to eat wilted lettuce until I read this recipe suggested by a friend," says field editor La Vonne Hegland of St. Michael, Minnesota. "He likes this milder dressing with just a subtle hint of vinegar. Turkey bacon adds a satisfying crunch."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 10 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 turkey bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce, spinach and onions; set
- aside. In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, water, oil and sugar
- substitute to a boil. Pour over lettuce and toss; sprinkle with
- bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2 cups) equals 71 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.