Wilted Garlic Spinach
“You don’t have to be a spinach fan to happily eat up these greens,” assures Dotty Egge, a field editor from Pelican Rapids, Minnesota. Soy sauce gives her energy-packed dish an Asian twist. “I serve it over rice or as a side. Try garnishing it with toasted sesame seeds.”
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 pound fresh spinach, trimmed
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar, broth, soy sauce and
- sesame oil until smooth; set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute the garlic in canola oil for 1 minute. Stir
- broth mixture and add to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat
- until slightly thickened. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2 minutes
- or just until spinach is wilted and coated with sauce. Serve with a
- slotted spoon. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 66 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 248 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.