This warm salad is a deliciously different way to serve lettuce. Unlike other wilted versions, this one is not sweet. Vinegar and bacon give it old-fashioned savory goodness.
- 12 bacon strips, diced
- 3 bunches curly endive
- 4 quarts water
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Reserve 3 tablespoons drippings. Cut or tear endive from center stalk; discard stalks.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring water and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt to a boil. Add endive; cover and cook for 3 minutes or until wilted. Drain. Stir in the bacon, vinegar, onion, pepper, reserved drippings and remaining salt. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Wilted Curly Endive in Taste of Home December/January 1999, p35
Reviews for Wilted Curly Endive
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review