- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- PRALINE ICING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in 1 egg; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat oil with remaining sugar and eggs until well blended. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into oil mixture until blended. Stir in apples, carrots and pecans.
- Transfer half of the apple batter to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan; layer with cream cheese mixture and remaining apple batter.
- Bake at for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and milk to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for William Tell's Never-Miss Apple Cake
Sort By :
"My cousin made this cake for a family gathering. Everyone raved about it. I had to come home and make sure I had this recipe in my box. It was delicious!"
"I made this cake for Christmas and will be making it throughout the year when I have several apples on hand. It's delicious! And all my dinner guests said the same!"
"One word....DELICIOUS!!!! Will reduce sugar to 1and 3/4cups next time....even 1 and 1/2 Added 1/2tsp vanilla to cheese mixture...oh dear....so goooood."
"I made this cake a few days back...forgot to write the review....i found it a little sweet...next time will reduce sugar to one and 3/4 of a cup....esp. with icing it becomes very sweet....but the icing is to die for....i used just 2tbsp of fresh cream in it that way it didnt harden on the cake atonce and was easily spreadable...no one could tell the cake has carrots! And the creamcheese was a gr8 surprise for everyone....i used walnuts instead of pecans....and i think they did justice with the cake....u need to grease pan thoroughly n let it cool well for arnd 15mins before inverting otherwise it would not empty out clean....its a huge cake! N does take extra time to bake....mine took 10mins extra excluding required baking time.....but the elaborate prep time gives awsome results at the end...delicious, moist n smells incredible during baking....its a must try for everyone....i do recommend it for sure....best applecake ever....will surely make it again n again....already been asked for its recipe twice....thanks TOH!! N yes tastes even better second day :)"