- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- PRALINE ICING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth; beat in egg.
- For cake, in a large bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in apples, carrots and pecans.
- Transfer half of the batter to prepared pan; layer with cream cheese mixture, then remaining batter. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake portion comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for William Tell's Never-Miss Apple Cake
"This cake was a HUGE hit in our house!! A family favourite!"
"Was alot of work, lots of dishes but also very delicious. The bundt pan I used makes a pretty cake but like some people pointed out, it didn't come out of the pan very well so the appearance of cake looked pretty bad but everyone loved it and my son requested it for his birthday cake."
"If it can't be chocolate, it should be this cake! I've never had any complaints about this recipe. It's absolutely amazing!"
"I made the cake for a family birthday today and it was a big hit! Very moist and the family requested the recipe. I did not get the icing quite right - it set really fast and did not drip down like the photo of the cake here. The icing was still delicious but I would love to know how to get the consistency like the photo... Excellent recipe and plan to make it again soon."
"Absolutely delicious! This cake does take a little time to prepare (only because there are three separate steps to it); but that being said, it really is pretty easy to bake. Well worth the time you put into it. I made NO changes to the recipe, but because of the cream cheese center, I refrigerated the cake overnight. I think that just enhanced the flavor and texture of the cake. It slices very clean. No crumbles. Great to serve to a crowd."
"Excellent cake. Took a bit of time to make but was worth it. Be sure to pour the glaze quickly over the top of the cake along with the nuts as it sets quickly. The cake was easy to transport once the icing set."
"Slightly time consumer; but worth the effort."
"Easy and delicious."
"Great Recipe, my family loves it. I make it a lot"
"Moist cake, simple to make and everyone loved it, will make again. No changes were made to the recipe perfect as is."