Wild West Wellingtons Recipe
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 1/2 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 teaspoons beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- Salsa, optional
- 1. Sprinkle steaks with salt, cumin and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown steaks on both sides; remove and keep warm. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and chilies; set aside.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Cut into two 12x8-in. rectangles. Place a steak on one side of each rectangle; top with cream cheese mixture. Fold pastry over meat; seal seams. Place seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 3. Combine egg and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (prepared with reduced-fat cream cheese; calculated without salsa) equals 644 calories, 35 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 148 mg cholesterol, 773 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 44 g protein.
Reviews for Wild West Wellingtons
"I made this for my father in law on Father's Day a couple years ago. It was so simple to prepare, was very elegant in appearance, and tasted fantastic. He absolutely loved it. I can't wait for another occasion to make this!"