- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound ground beef or venison
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup each finely chopped celery, onion and carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown bacon and the beef or venison; drain. Add the seasonings; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, celery, onion, carrots and green pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir in beans; cook 30 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Wild West Chili in Country February/March 1996, p51
Reviews for Wild West Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 8, 2016
"Made just as stated except left out the cayenne pepper as we didn't have any in the house. This was possibly the BEST chili we ever ate. Only change I would make is to fry the bacon crispy & then add the venison."