Wild West Chili Recipe
My sister-in-law, who has cooked for many years at the family ranch, shared this hearty recipe with me. I make it often during the winter-it sure can warm you up after being outside doing chores!
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound ground beef or venison
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup each finely chopped celery, onion and carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown bacon and the beef or venison; drain. Add the seasonings; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, celery, onion, carrots and green pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir in beans; cook 30 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC