Wild Rice with Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 large meaty ham bone
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place the ham bone, onion and 3 qts. water in an 8-qt. soup kettle or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours. Remove ham bone. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from the bone; set aside. Discard bone.
- 2. Add wild rice to stock. Simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from the heat; drain and reserve stock. Set rice and onion aside. Add enough water to stock to make 2 qts.; set aside.
- 3. In the same kettle, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in reserved stock. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine cream and yolks. Add 1 cup stock to egg mixture, then stir into kettle. Return soup to heat; heat gently over medium-low. (Do not boil.) Add reserved rice, onion and ham along with mushrooms, chicken broth, pepper, thyme and parsley. Thin with milk if necessary. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
1 cup: 255 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Wild Rice with Mushroom Soup
"Very tasty. Didn't add the yolks or chicken broth. Used dried mushrooms."