Wild Rice with Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 large meaty ham bone
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place the ham bone, onion and 3 qts. water in an 8-qt. soup kettle or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours. Remove ham bone. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from the bone; set aside. Discard bone.
- 2. Add wild rice to stock. Simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from the heat; drain and reserve stock. Set rice and onion aside. Add enough water to stock to make 2 qts.; set aside.
- 3. In the same kettle, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in reserved stock. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine cream and yolks. Add 1 cup stock to egg mixture, then stir into kettle. Return soup to heat; heat gently over medium-low. (Do not boil.) Add reserved rice, onion and ham along with mushrooms, chicken broth, pepper, thyme and parsley. Thin with milk if necessary. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 255 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Wild Rice with Mushroom Soup
"Very tasty. Didn't add the yolks or chicken broth. Used dried mushrooms."