I used to live in Minnesota, where a lot of wild rice is grown. The addition of wild rice to this salad gives it a robust flavor.
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 medium green apples, diced
- 2 medium red apples, diced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use); set pineapple aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice and reserved pineapple juice. In a large bowl, combine the rice, apples, celery and pineapple. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in walnuts. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Waldorf in Country Extra November 1999, p49
Reviews for Wild Rice Waldorf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 7, 2010
"The flavors are excellent. I didn't have lemon juice, I used lime instead. I have had several requests for the recipe, and it will definitely be on my holiday table."