Wild Rice Venison Stew Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds venison, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and pepper. Add venison; shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Add water, broth and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours. Stir in the potatoes, onion, carrots and rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 301 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 362 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.