Wild Rice Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 7 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring rice and 3 cups broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually add remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the turkey, cream and cooked rice; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/3 cup: 393 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 1130mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Wild Rice Turkey Soup
"This is very tasty"
"Very flavorful and satisfying soup. It was a bit thick so next time will use less rice. It tastes even better the second day!"
"A wonderful & tasty way to use up leftover turkey! Will be making this again. It does turn out very thick, so next time I will reduce the rice as one cup of uncooked wild rice yields about 3 cups cooked."
"This was absolutely wonderful. I made it just like the recipe, but had leftover smoked turkey breast and bone so I made my own broth. Very tasty!"
"Tastes very good but turned out a little thicker than I would have liked."
"Turkey or chicken it's good. I added bacon for a little extra flavor and cut back on the celeryto 1/2 rib, added some scallions and used milk instead of half and half. Yummy!!!"
"My family liked the flavor of this soup...doubling the celery and mushrooms was my only change to the recipe."
"I've made many attempts at Creamy [chicken] Wild Rice soup over the years, and this is so flavorful and velvety. My first words to my husband after tasting my first sampling spoonful was, "This is restaurant quality!" Finally, I have mastered the creamy wild rice soup! I did add 2 cloves minced garlic and chopped carrot and ended up using a cup more stock, and I could not be more pleased. Thanks!"
"Yum! Yum! Topped with shredded cheddar cheese this soup knocks it out of the park!"
"the dinner order, I get most often in the winter"
"Probably just a mistake that this recipe only had ONE star--clearly the reviewer loved it just as much as we did!I made this with leftover Turkey from the freezer, and have since made it with cooked chicken. It is AMAZING!!My changes were to add butter to equal the flour ratio, and I added 1 1/2 - 2 tsp. of Emeril's Essence."
"Planning to make it soon with left-over Thanksgiving Turkey!! Made it last year and we loved it. Did not change it at all, just made it as the recipe said. It was rich and delicious! I used wild rice from upper Michigan where it grows and is harvested. It is awesome and has a 'nutty' flavor."