Wild Rice Stuffed Cornish Hens Recipe
- 5-1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves
- In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups water, bouillon and salt to a boil. Add wild rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add long grain rice; cover and simmer 25-30 minutes longer or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in rice mixture. Spoon about 3/4 cup stuffing into each hen.
- Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; cover and set aside. Place hens breast side up on a rack in shallow baking pan; tie drumsticks together. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring preserves and remaining water to a boil. Pour over hens. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally. Place baking dish of stuffing in the oven for the last 35-40 minutes of hens' baking time. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Wild Rice Stuffed Cornish Hens
Sort By :
"This recipe was sooooo good.. My family raved about it. I also used the Herbed cornish hens recipe for the basting . I ran out of butter, imagine that, so I used olive oil instead....It was delicous!!!!!!!"