Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, oil and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the onion, celery and carrot in butter until vegetables are almost tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth and undrained rice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, rosemary and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Wild Rice Soup(11)
Sort By :
My family loved this soup. It also freezes well. We made a double batch.
Made it according to the recipe (although adding chicken) the first time and came out amazing.Made it a second time, this time instead of the rice adding gnocchi and also adding spinach. It rivaled Olive Gardens Chicken and Gnocchi soup. Even better when you have some french or italian bread to go along with it. It also freezes beautifully!!!
excellent, good old fashion country recipe.
Next time I'm going to try mushrooms in it!