- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, oil and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the onion, celery and carrot in butter until vegetables are almost tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth and undrained rice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, rosemary and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Wild Rice Soup
Sort By :
"Have you tried adding potatoes or chicken? Looks delicious!!"
"Delicious soup! I made it according to the recipe the first time and loved it. The second time around, I added some diced cooked chicken, some sliced mushrooms, and a little more wild rice. It turned out great! I will continue making this soup."
"My picky family loves it."
"My family loved this soup. It also freezes well. We made a double batch."