Wild Rice Soup Recipe
As the oldest of eight girls growing up on the farm, I began cooking at an early age! This soup—which I first had at my sister's house—brings me compliments no matter where I serve it. —Elienore Myhre, Balaton, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 1 hour YIELD:8 servings
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, oil and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the onion, celery and carrot in butter until vegetables are almost tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth and undrained rice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, rosemary and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 cup equals 270 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 797 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC