- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, oil and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the onion, celery and carrot in butter until vegetables are almost tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth and undrained rice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the cream, rosemary and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Wild Rice Soup
"This is a delicious recipe! The only reason why my husband and I are giving it 4 stars is because we thought that it was in need of more rice and veggies. This was a perfect, meatless dinner, however!We doubled the amount of rice and added more vegetables. We also added chicken later on. It was pretty runny, but thickened up really well the next day. Delicious recipe!"
"Had this recipe sitting around for quite some time and finally tried it last night. The only thing I would change is adding more rice. I will try making it with a full cup of rice and maybe add a clove, or two, of garlic next time. This was easy and delicious!"
"This was delish. ! I have made this several times. !!!!!"
"This was pretty yummy. I used fresh rosemary and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I thought it could be a little more chunky. Next time, I will use more rice and vegetables."
"It's not that it's bland, but that it tastes like heated up, salted half-and-half. I added a little pepper but it wasn't enough to save it."
"I'm sorry I thought this was very bland, not enough rice, no flavor. Wont' make it again."
"We added fresh mushrooms and my family loved it! Next time I will add more rice though."
"Delicious! I added shredded chicken too and will try it with mushrooms next time."
"I used this recipe as a starting point. The soup has a bold rosemary flavor even with my changes. I used more rice (a whole 4 oz. box), added 3 cups cooked chicken, sauted fresh mushrooms in 2 T. of the required butter, and used 2% Milk instead of the half & half. My husband and I both enjoyed this soup, and commented the mushrooms added a nice flavor and texture. I will make this recipe again with my changes. We like hearty soups."