Wild Rice Pepper Salad
"Over the years, I’ve made this chilled salad countless times," says Darlene Gibbon of Milnor, North Dakota. "Using leftover rice really cuts down kitchen work and helps clean out the refrigerator, too."
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour + chilling
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- In a small saucepan, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Drain and place
- in a bowl. Refrigerate until chilled. Add the remaining ingredients;
- toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 206 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 357 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.